Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tips for Shopping at Goodwill (or any thriftstore)


Goodwill is like my favorite thrift store ever! Of course, if the shop has the words "antique" and "thrift" in it then I'll go in just to see what I can find. I also LOVE garage sales! I find so many good things at all of these places. They are my favorite stores on earth! In fact, if I could never shop anywhere else for clothing or misc. things I would be perfectly happy (although I'd miss Old Navy a lot!).

Here are a few tips I've put together in one place for successful shopping at a thrift store/garage sales. I hope that they will help you be a successful thrift shopper!

1. Have in mind things you are looking for/need. If its clothes know the color sweater you want, if it's dishes know what color/style (white and any style for me!) and what exactly you need (cups, plates, bowls, etc).
2. Goodwill has a certain color tag 1/2 off the regular price at any given day. Be sure to look for the sign telling you the color or ASK the cashier! They always know what it is. This applies to clothing and textiles and not usually house ware items although there are days where only the house ware items are half off.
3. Shop by 1/2 off tag color. Most of the clothes are inexpensive anyway, but I almost always go down a rack of clothes looking only for the 1/2 off color before I look at anything else. If something pops out at me then I'll pause to look at it, but generally speaking I search for the 1/2 off tags.
4. If you aren't sure how something will look on you then take the time to try it on! There is no reason for you to get home and realize that the cute shirt you found really doesn't fit you right. There are almost always dressing rooms! If it is a sweater/coat then try it on right there by the rack, and if it doesn't fit then MAKE sure to put it back PROPERLY so you don't add work for the workers.
5. When you are looking for shoes start by looking for something that catches your eye and looks nice. Don't try to find something by size or you will be there forever!
6. When you are shopping for clothes always check for stains and holes. You don't want to get stuck with something that you aren't going to be able to use.
7. Know your sizes and the sizes of the people you may be shopping for. It's not any good to be looking for things if you don't know the general size you need. Of course you do have to keep in mind that some brands run smaller than others so if you are looking for a certain brand then know your size or try the next size up. No one is going to be looking at the size tag on your clothes! If you clothes fit you well and aren't too small then that's all that matters.
8. When shopping for house ware things such as dishes be sure to check for broken chips or cracks in glassware.
9. When looking at DVD's or CD's always make sure the DVD/CD is in the case before you purchase it! I have walked out of a store twice without the CD and I was so mad because you can't take it back in on something like that. Also, make sure there aren't a lot of scratches on the back of the disk. If there are you may want to reconsider the purchase.
10. When looking at electronics, make sure that all the pieces are there. Especially the charger cords. A lot of times only half of the item will actually be there.
11. When looking at things like toasters or TV's, see if there is a way for you to plug them in to make sure they are working before purchasing.

Well, that's what I have for you for now. If I come up with any more ideas or tips I will be sure to post them! I hope this will help you be a successful thrift shopper in the near future!

If you have questions or other tips be sure to leave a comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

Another great post to read is Thrifting by Young Heart!

1 comment:

  1. I love thrift store shopping. It's one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. :)

    Niki
    http://www.nikis-notebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.