Friday, September 7, 2012

Healthy Homemade Dog Treats

My parents dog, Buddy, is not spoiled on treats, but there are occasions where treats are given for exceptional behavior. A long time ago I pinned a lot of recipes for dog treats. Ever since I've wanted to try my hand at making dog treats. I read all of these recipes: 1. Things For Boys: Tasty Treats for Furry Friends; 2. Sweet Pea's Kitchen: Crunchy Peanut Butter Dog Treats; 3. Come On, Ilene: Homemade Dog Treats; and 4. A Kitchen Muse: Woofies. The thing I didn't like about most of them was the fact that they had sugar and/or oil in the ingredients. Dogs don't need sugar and I felt that replacing oil for an egg was a much healthier option.


Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 chicken bouillon cube
2 cups water
1 egg

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl: oats, flour, and cornmeal.
2. Crumble the chicken cube with your fingers into the flour mix.
3. Add in the water and egg.
4. On a floured surface roll out the dough.
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut out each dog treat. I used a diamond shape cutter and then divided each one in half to make two treats. One half of the triangle would be one treat for a 40-60 lb. dog. For a smaller dog make the treat into 4 pieces.
6. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
8. Flip the treats over and bake another 20 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let them cool on the pan for about 5 minutes.
10. Store in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag in the cabinet or fridge. Mine have been in a Ziploc in the pantry for over a week and are doing just fine.

Buddy's Reaction To The Treats


I had to keep him from sniffing it, but he was a very good boy and waited until I told him he could eat it.
Eating the first treat.
Buddy so excited for his second treat he would follow it with his nose!
Buddy waiting for his treat.

Eating the second treat. Or as Autry says: Did you see that squirrel?!?!?!
Buddy really enjoyed the treats! When I was putting them away in a ziploc he sat by me wagging his tail and watching. I think he was hoping I would give him another one. :)

2 comments:

  1. Just made these with my niece today! They turned out great! The dough was very easy to work with! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! Thanks for sharing the feedback! I love hearing about when people try stuff I've done! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.