Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Refashionista | Capri's to Skirt

This project is one I figured out as I went along. I have made several skirts out of jeans and figured it couldn't be much harder to make them out of capri's so why not give it a try? Actually, this skirt was very simple and I absolutely love how it turned out!


Here is the before picture. I used a pair of capri's and an old dress shirt of mine (which was much too small for me to wear anymore) to create a brand new, cute skirt!


Here are the after photos:

I love the length! It turned out much longer
than I had expected, and I'm glad about that!

The sides were difficult because the ruffled back kept trying to fan out too much.
I did eventually get the back lined up right so that it had a more smooth effect overall.
Here we have my favorite part! I absolutely love the ruffles!
I have seen this on several pins on Pinterest and wanted to try it.
I finally had the chance and I love it!
This is my newest favorite way to finish the back of a skirt!
To Make This

You know what you need so here are some simple directions... If you know how to sew, or have made a skirt from pants/jeans then you are set!

1. Rip open the seams on the inside of the capri's only. Leave the bottom as it is.
2. Inside out the capri's. Pin the front pieces together.
3. Trim the middle piece which sticks out more than the rest of the front so that it is even from the zipper to the hem.
4. Sew the seam closed.
5. Cut out a piece of fabric to use as a base in the back.
6. Cut out wide strips of fabric to use for the ruffles.
7. Place the fabric piece in the back of the skirt. Line it up and put a pin in the bottom corners to keep it in place.
8. Fold the raw edges of each strip in together. Pin in place and sew. Repeat for each ruffle (I used 6 ruffles).
9. Ruffle each strip of fabric.
10. Pin in place on the skirt. Make sure that all of the raw edges are covered by the ruffle above it. On the edges of the skirt make sure that there is no gap for the fabric underneath to sew.
11. Sew the sides of the skirt to keep the main part of the ruffles in place.
12. Sew the ruffles in place starting with the top on and working your way to the bottom ruffle.

There you have it. The basic directions to recreate this skirt! If you have any questions let me know! (Sorry for the lack of photos, I didn't have a camera available.)

This Post Was Shared!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.