Monday, July 9, 2012

Homemade "Nutella"

I am a Nutella addict. Or I would be if I was able to buy it all of the time. I can sit and eat it by the spoonful! I have noticed several pins floating around Pinterest on DIY Nutella. I thought it sounded amazing, but didn't try to make it myself until tonight. When I finally looked at the recipe I realized I wanted it to be a lot simpler so I skipped out a huge step by using pre-made nut butters instead of grinding it myself.

For the regular Chocolate Nut Spread I used a natural almond butter. It is a regular spread because it tastes almost exactly like Nutella. However, this recipe has more ingredients and so it is more expensive than the second recipe. I was attempting to make a less expensive version of Nutella...I don't know that I succeeded though.

For the Dark Chocolate Nut Spread I used Great Value peanut butter...and suffered the consequences of my horrible peanut allergy (hands turned red and were itchy and my throat was dry and itchy). Luckily for everyone reading who loves peanuts this recipe turned out just as amazing as the first. The only difference is it has less ingredients, and it has a more chocolaty taste.

While I was making this experiment I sent everyone who came into the kitchen out. I told them that if they peeked, or read my post-in-process they would be banished and not be allowed to try it. That kept them out of the way for sure since they all wanted to try it. ;)

The taste testers (5 people) have all said that the Chocolate Nut Spread is the best, but the Dark Chocolate Nut Spread is a close second. Try them both and let me know what you think!


Chocolate Nut Spread
(I use almonds so I called mine: Chocolate Almond Nutella.)

Makes about 2 12oz. jars of spread.

Ingredients
1 cup of nut butter (almond, peanut, hazelnut, cashew)
1 Hershey's Milk Chocolate 4.4oz. chocolate bar or 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup milk

Directions
1. In a saucepan place nut butter, chocolate bar, vanilla, and cooking oil. Melt on medium heat.
2. Remove from heat and add cocoa, powdered milk, and powdered sugar.
3. Return to medium heat and add milk. Stir until smooth (about 5 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and store in a glass jar.
5. Keep in the fridge. It should be good for about 5 weeks, if it lasts that long!

Dark Chocolate Nut Spread
(I used peanuts so I called this Chocolate Peanut Nutella.)

Makes about 2 12oz. jars of spread.

Ingredients
1 cup nut butter (almond, peanut, hazelnut, cashew)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
2 cups cocoa powder
1 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup milk

Directions
1. In a sauce pan place nut butter, vanilla, and oil. Melt on medium heat.
2. Remove from heat and add cocoa, powdered milk and powdered sugar. Stir.
3. Return to medium heat and add milk. Stir until smooth (about 5 minutes).
4. Pour into glass jar for storage.
5. Keep stored in fridge until gone. I think it should last about 5 weeks.

Notes
~Do not bring the mix to a boil on the stove. You don't want to burn it!
~This needs to be kept in the fridge
~Serve on anything and everything you can think of!

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.