Monday, July 2, 2012

The BRAT Diet for Sickies

Years ago, when I about six, I remember being terribly sick and not able to eat hardly anything because I would just throw it up. That was the first time I heard about the BRAT diet. I have only needed this a few times my whole life, but it is still good info to know.


The Brat Diet
The BRAT diet is Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast.
BRATT is the same as BRAT, but the second "T' stands for tea.
BRATTY is the same as BRAT, but adds tea and yogurt.
BRATCH is the same as BRAT, but adds chicken (usually boiled).

The alternative diet is CRAM: cereal, rice, apple sauce and milk.

The BRAT diet is basically bland foods which are easy to digest and can help the patient recover much quicker because they are not eating a lot of their normal well-balanced meals with lots of fiber.

This diet is meant for people with gastrointestinal distress such as diarrhea, dyspepsia, and/or gastroenteritis.

When a person is on this diet they should drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.

My Nutrition book is still packed in a box, but I do believe that you should only stay on the diet as long as you are experiencing diarrhea. If you are on the diet too long you can become malnourished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.