Friday, November 23, 2012

Homemaking 101 | Introduction To This Series


I suppose it's probably not a surprise that I'm starting a new weekly series here on my blog...but this series has a focus which will stick with home decor, DIY projects for the home, making a house a home, and sharing ideas I have for these things. I've wanted to do this for a while, but kept putting it off. Now I find myself at a point where I will be getting married in about three months and really need to be knowing exactly what I have and what I need to do in order to be prepared to start a home at the time that Autry & I do officially get married!

Even though this series is new, I've been preparing for marriage for over a year now. I've thought about what style decor I'd like to have, what types of things I'd like to make for my future home, and searched high and low at many thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets for unique items to make my home different and special. I think I've done a really good job of collecting things over the past few months, but now it's time to start finding out.

As I collect a new item for my future home it would generally sit on my dresser or floor for a few weeks and then I would pack it into a box. Usually that was because I would wait until I had collected enough to fill another box before I packed it all up because I just hate pulling out the same one each time I found something.

Part of my home ideas has to do with a lot of my crafting abilities, which is what I wanted, and I've also started blogging about them too! So far I've actually put together and published three posts with things I've done for my future home. These two are DIY projects so be sure to check them out: DIY Framed Lace, and DIY Cloth Napkins. I also wrote about how to dry roses (or other flowers) so you could keep them for years! Read about that here. My most recent post was to share the Warm Brown Circle Crochet Rug I had made. I am in love with how it turned out! I wasn't able to write a tutorial, but you can read about more details for yourself if you're interested by clicking on the link. I have another few tutorials in the works, but haven't had time to finish writing them up so you can look forward to seeing those on the Fridays to come!

A lot of what I will be using may be recognized from my Thrifted posts since I do shop at thrift stores and yard sales more than anywhere else! At first it was kind of a joke to see how many things I could find before I got married, and then I started realizing just how much good stuff really was out there for great deals if you looked and decided to start building up my pile for my future home. I wrote Tips For Thrift Store Shopping here if you'd like to check them out! I find great deals each time I walk into a store. I sometimes wish I had gobs of money so I could buy all the lovely things I always find instead of having to choose between one item and another...

Anyway, these posts will probably only be published on Friday's so stop by on Friday or Saturday to check them out and see what all I've been writing about and working on! I am really excited about this and hope you will enjoy the series! :)

6 comments:

  1. I am happy to know that you are starting this homemaking series. Just what I need now. Can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat!! If you have anything specific you're interested in learning/knowing more about let me know cuz maybe I know about it already and could write posts about those things soon.

      Helen

      Delete
  2. I've been living with my future Mister for almost four years now. I feel like we are already married. lol.

    Congrats on getting married soon! I'm such a dork, I didn't even realize that you two were engaged. :)

    -Krys
    Keeping PLUS in a MINUS World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. :) And if it makes you feel any better, we're not actually engaged yet! Autry says he plans to propose 'soon' so whenever that is. :)

      Helen

      Delete
  3. lol. Why yes, that does make me feel better. I didn't think I was that oblivious. :)

    Well I hope he makes it really special. :)

    -Krys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol good! I'm sure he will seeing as he's been planning it for over 6 months now haha.

      Helen

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.