Saturday, September 1, 2012

In A Snacking Food Only Mood

For the past three weeks I have been in the strangest mood. No food in meal form sounds good to me. Yes, I do cook and bake and then eat a little serving of what I've made, but for the most part...food is just not my thing right now. I've found that I will eat a little something in the morning and then go until 3 or 4 before I eat a small snack and then I won't eat anything until 8 or 9 when I take my evening medicine.

Why am I doing this? I have no clue. All I can say is that this has happened before and it was a side effect of a medication I was taking at the time.

Does it bother me? Yes and no. Yes it bothers me because I feel more draggy than usual. I think this is because I'm eating a lot of things with carbs in it and less things which have vitamins and protiens. This is because carb foods are easily available, they taste better, and I don't have to spend any time fixing the food where as vegetables and other protien foods (tuna for example) take me a few minutes to whip up and by that time I don't even want to eat it. No it does not bother me because, like I said, this has happened a lot in the past two years since my wreck. I know I will eat when I get hungry.

Is this a side effect of current medicine I'm on? At this very second I am not sure...but I am going right now to find the paper which lists the side effects of my medicine. Okay there are three side effects which I am currently experiencing in a HUGE way...related to food that is (there are more, but these are related to this post): changes in taste, loss of appetite, and stomach upset/nausea. So is this picky about food thing a side effect? I think yes.

How can I get nutrition in my diet with this crazy no food mood? I will admit that the food I've been eating is not bad for me, but it's not giving me very much either. In order to change this I have made a "plan" of sorts. Mom is going shopping this Thursday and I have asked her if we can pick up these things: Dannon vanilla yogurt, frozen broccoli, and canned tuna in water. My other go-to things are raisins, pretzel sticks (not the twisted ones and I get Great Value brand), Hershey's chocolate, homemade apple sauce, and homemade whole wheat bread.

Side Tracking for a Sec
I honestly could pretty much be vegetarian. When I was a kid and first starting to eat Mom WAS vegetarian and I think that's why I have such a hard time eating meats now. Of course I am marrying a meat eating man who has been able to help me with this, but still...I could care less if I never ate meat again. This really doesn't have much to do with this post, but it was a thought I kept having and decided to write it down. :)

In Closing
My snacking food only mood will probably be around for quite awhile, but I am not going to use it as an excuse to eat junk. I am going to try my best to pick healthy options over non-healthy ones and to use portion control. Oh, and portion control to me means putting a little of whatever it is, lets say pretzels, on a plate instead of eating straight from the bag.

I hope this will encourage someone in the area of snacking. I know that I am always on the lookout for something easy to snack on. I really need to come up with a trail mix since I'm allergic to so many of the ingredients in store bought mixes. That would really be a great snack food. Hmm....maybe a future post; who knows? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.