Friday, August 17, 2012

Lets Talk About Hair | My Curly Hair Care Routine


I have thick, really curly hair which almost always has a mind of its own and rarely looks the same day-to-day. One day my hair will be beautiful tight curls, the next it will be messy and wild curls, the next it will be kinky curls. It is really never the same.




Shampoo/Cleaning my Hair
Awhile back I started using baking soda to clean my hair. Well, really I used that to clean my scalp, but that's pretty much the same thing. One day I found a bottle of Garnier Sleek & Shine Shampoo in my stuff and decided to start using that instead. Read the results of that mistake here. I realized something very important about seven weeks into that bottle of shampoo: my hair wasn't as clean as it needed to be. It was a terrible experience and I hope it's one that I won't ever repeat again. Now that you know that, you know that I clean my scalp/hair using the Baking Soda Shampoo.

Shower Conditioners
I am a girl who loves soft silky hair. I am also a girl who knows that does not come from a bottle of shampoo or any one conditioner. I use a variety of conditioners on my hair. Generally speaking I don't use a basic conditioner in the shower. I usually use a deep conditioner from my ears down to the ends of my hair. The reason I don't put this on my scalp is because, with using the baking soda shampoo, my hair has plenty of natural oils which don't need added conditioners on top of them. If my hair is feeling extra dry I might use a basic conditioner like TRESemme curly hair conditioner. And for the deep conditioner I am currently using Regis Designline Pure Results: Moisture Conditioning Treatment which was gifted to me from one of my many Aunts. I am in love with it. I have had it for a few months (3-4, not sure the exact number of months) and only about half of the cream has been used. I think I will cry the day it runs out. It is a fairly pricey hair product in my opinion, but it is wonderful!

Leave In Conditioners
I use Garnier Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream after I wash my hair. Now I do have to admit I am not consistent about WHEN I put this in my hair, but I always put it in my hair the day I wash it. The biggest thing I love about this product is the amazing smell my hair has for days! This comes from the Argan Oil & Apricot which is in the cream. The other great thing about this product? It's only $3 at Walmart! On occasion I also use Garnier Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk which is great for days when it's rainy or super humid because it helps keep my hair from being afro-ish which I hate! This product is about $4 at Walmart. Finally, I use Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment Repair & Renew. Why do I use this? Well, it helps with split ends. This product is designed to restore a healthy texture and strengthen hair against future damage which is great if you're trying to grow your hair long!

Oils & Oil Treatments
I use tea tree oil, peppermint oil, almond oil, and olive oil on my hair. In the next few days I will post a recipe which combines most of these oils into one thing which is lovely since I don't like applying each one individually. I use tea tree oil to help keep my scalp healthy. I use peppermint oil/extract to keep my scalp to fight dandruff and dry scalp and to increase blood circulation to the scalp. Straight peppermint on the hair is not good though, so be sure to mix it with 4 oz. of water or a few drops in 1/2 cup of another oil. I mostly use almond oil for the smell, but it also promotes smooth hair. I use olive oil when my hair is feeling extra dry and it needs something more than the normal hair routine gives it. In the near future I plan to try coconut oil and Moroccan Argan Oil. I love putting oil on my hair and I have found the perfect amount: two dabs in the palm of my hand with the bottle I use~a regular water bottle right now~which is then worked through my hair starting at my ears and going to the ends and the remaining bit goes in the top. Using this amount every few days my hair does not get oily to the point of looking gross or greasy. Plus my hair is super soft!

Other Notes
~I do not comb or brush my hair. If I get a knot in my hair I always detangle it with my fingers and then put some conditioner (usually leave-in) on it when the knot is out.
~I also don't cut my hair. The main reason for this is because I believe a woman should not cut her hair. The Bible verses which supports this belief are 1 Corinthians 11:5-6 KJV which say, "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 1 Corinthians 11:15 KJV says, "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.