Friday, July 26, 2013

Buying Fresh, Buying Local

The past few months I've been visiting a little local store in town that sells fresh vegetables & fruits, many of which are organic grown and are super tasty! Not only that but just a few weeks ago I started going to the local Farmer's Market and shopping at the many stands there as well. I've found a lot of great tasting vegetables this way and I've really enjoyed it (Autry doesn't really like fresh vegetables like I do...I like cucumbers, he doesn't..etc).

In more recent weeks I've been reading different things about eating "Real Food" and that has really inspired me to work harder on eating healthier...now that doesn't mean I eat right or good all the time, but I think I've improved a lot from where I/we were when we first moved in together. I hope to keep working towards the eating Real Food goal, but I know it will take time.

For now I thought I'd share a few photos of the different things I've bought over the past month or so from either the local organic food stores, farmers market, or straight from the farm!


This was one of my trips to the local Health Food Store. I found a lot of great things there that day. My favorite were the yogurt covered pretzels (pictured below). Other things I picked up that day: Almond Oil, Date Pieces in Oat Flour, Banana Chips, and Almond Slivers.


Date pieces from the Health Food Store. They were TASTY!! I would buy them again.


Yogurt Covered Pretzels. These were really good...even hubby liked them!


This 8oz. bottle of Almond Oil was on sale for like $6. I was thrilled! It's so hard to find almond oil...


Fresh Picked Blueberries from a local Blueberry Farm! I picked them myself and BOY are they delicious! You can't really tell in this photo but they're actually really big berries... I have a post in the works of picking berries on the farm. I bought quite a few of the 'jelly berries' to make Blueberry Jelly. When I make it I'll be taking lots of photos so I can blog how that experience goes!


Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries & Bananas for breakfast! I have two different pancake recipes which are both really tasty: Oatmeal Pancakes and/or Fluffy Pancakes.


These tomatoes are vine ripened and were picked up at my favorite local organic foods store. I've stopped by to pick these up twice now in the past few weeks they are that good!


My favorite way to eat them is sliced and a nice bit of salt on them! They are SO juicy!!


These nice big cucumbers were bought at the farmers market. I haven't tired them yet, but I'm sure they're delicious! My favorite way to eat cucumbers is with a little salt and a lot of ranch dressing! (See here.)


Fresh Farm Eggs! Nothing beats them!! These were purchased at the farmers market as well. I've gone back to get them more than once, they're really good!


Finally we have fresh peaches...but these are no ordinary peaches, they were FREE! Why? Because they were considered 'bad' and the lady wasn't able to sell them...so she gave me a bushel and a half... I made it all up into Peach Butter (a lot like apple butter!). I probably could've saved some of them and put into baggies to freeze for peach cobbler, or other baked goods, but I didn't.


Here's how our peach butter turned out. Doesn't it look tasty?? Recipe & directions for making this coming soon!

I've purchased other things from the farmers market and local stores such as Strawberries, Onions, Potatoes...but I don't have photos of them because I wasn't thinking about writing a post about them until recently.

Do you shop at the Farmer's Market?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.