Friday, June 29, 2012

Italian Buttered Croissant Rolls

I was looking for a simple and fairly quick bread recipe which I could serve up with my dinner of Creamy Fettuccini Alfredo and Spinach. Luckily I have pinned a lot of bread recipes on pinterest so I just scrolled through a few until I found the one I wanted to try. After looking at several I eneded up trying this recipe from How Does She. These were a big hit and we couldn't even eat one pan of them because they were so wonderful and filling!


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon of sugar
9-10 cups of flour
1 egg
2 cups of warm water
2 Tablespoons of yeast
Flour for surface
1 1/2 stick of butter for inside (for regular croissant rolls, otherwise just follow the Italian Butter Mix)

Directions
1. In a microwave safe bowl put milk, butter and 3/4 cup of sugar. Microwave for 2 minutes.
2. In a liquid measuring cup pour the water and yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
3. Stir in two cups of flour, and the egg into the microwaved mixture.
4. Add yeast mixture to cooled butter mixture.
5. Mix in 2 cups of flour at a time. Remember you have already added two cups. When I mixed mine I used 9 cups of flour total.
6. Cover with a towel and set in a warm place for thirty minutes.
7. Divide into four sections. Try and make them as even as possible.
8. On a floured surface roll out one ball of dough at a time into a circle shape (don't worry about the shape being perfect). Cover with 2 Tablespoons of butter (or the Italian spice mix below).
9. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 pieces.
10. Roll the pieces starting from the bigger edge to the smaller edge.
11. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Set in a warm place and let rise for 15-20 minutes. The first pan will look bigger by the time you finish rolling out the rest of the dough.
12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees after you finish rolling all the dough.
13.  Put the first pan in the oven. Bake one pan at a time for 10-12 minutes. (Mine took 12 minutes).
14. While they are still hot from the oven glaze with the remaining butter used to butter the insides.

Italian Butter Mix
8 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Directions
1. Mix all the ingredients into a small bowl.
2. Spread on bread in step 8 above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.