Sunday, June 24, 2012

Healthy | Pumpkin Oatmeal Raisin 'Drop' Cookies

I was looking in the pantry this afternoon trying to figure out what I could make with what I had since I was in a baking mood. The can of pumpkin has been calling my name for a long time so I started with that. The next thing I noticed was the oatmeal on the top shelf. I thought those sounded good together and decided to give it a shot. This recipe is 'healthy' because it has no fat and the only dairy is the eggs. Also, I call them 'cookie' drops becaues this is a texture more like a piece of very moist spoungy banana bread. They don't have a classic cookie texture. Oh and by the way, if you are expecting a sweet and normal texture cookie then you will be disappointed.

I did some experimenting and research on the internet so that I could create a healthier than usual cookie recipe. See the links below for the pages I used. I replaced butter with apple sauce, added as little sugar as possible (which could have been replaced with honey), and used whole wheat flour, added cornstarch and did a new mix of spices.


Makes about 70 golf ball size drops

MAKE SURE TO KEEP THESE COOKIES STORED IN THE FRIDGE OR THEY WILL GO BAD ALMOST IMMEDIATELY!!!
Dry Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cornstarch (makes it fluffy)
1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon coriander

Wet Ingredients
2 large eggs
29oz. can of Libby's Pumpkin
1 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla

Add Last
2 cups raisins

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl put all the dry ingredients, mix together and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl put all the wet ingredients, mix together with a whisk.
4. Mix wet and dry ingredients. The mix will look dry at first but dont worry. Also, it will take a lot of stirring to get all the flour and oats covered with the pumpkin mix.
5. Add raisins and stir well.
6. Using a large spoon or tablespoon scoop out mix and place in little piles on a greased cookie sheet. You can use your fingers to shape them to look more round since the shape that the dough lands on the pan is the shape they will stay in once the cookies are completely baked.
7. Bake in oven for about 12 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the pan for a minute or two to become firm before removing. They will be light and soft.

Links
My Baking Addiction Blog: Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.