Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cooking For 2 | Bacon Green Beans


A very popular recipe at my house when I was growing up was the green beans with bacon my Great Mary would always make when she came for a visit. It was tradition to have some meal while they were visiting which could have green beans as a side. Today I’m sharing with you the cooking for 2 version of this favorite recipe of mine.


Ingredients
3 slices of bacon
2 cans green beans, undrained

Directions
1. Cook your bacon in a skillet. We like to make it crispy so it’s easier to break into bits later.
2. In a medium pot pour your undrained cans of green beans. Turn the stove heat on medium-high and bring them to a boil.
3. When the bacon finishes cooking, pull it out of the skillet and let it cool off. Pour the bacon grease into the green bean pot.
4. When the bacon is cool enough to touch, break it into bits and add them to your green bean pot.
5. Once all the ingredients are in the pot turn the heat down to 2-3. You will want the green beans to cook for most of the day. We usually start ours around 9 or 10 and then serve them around 5 or 6 that night. I would say the minimum amount of time to cook them would be 4 hours.
6. Stir the beans periodically and check the water. If it gets to where there’s almost no water add just a enough to keep them from burning. The longer you can cook the beans the better they’ll taste.
7. Once you’re ready to serve dinner, pull the well cooked beans off the burner and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. I ate these all the time growing up. But in recent years seem to have forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder...sometimes we get in recipe ruts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm not quite sure how I've came to your blog (that I have bookmarked), Pinterest maybe? Anywho, is this for canned garden fresh green beans, or store bought canned green beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use store bought canned green beans when I make this recipe. I've used fresh green beans straight from the garden, but that requires a few more steps since you have to really cook down the fresh ones. I have not used canned garden green beans on this recipe yet, but I'm sure that you could use them just fine.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.