|(photo via Pinterest)|
As we prepare to open presents, visit with family or friends, eat lots of delicious foods, and enjoy one another's company let's not forget the true meaning of this holiday: The Birth of Jesus! There is only one reason we have to celebrate and that is this:
John 3:16 (KJV)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Matthew 1:21 (KJV)
"And she (Mary) shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."
Luke 2:1-20 (KJV)
1. And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Cesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
3. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem;
5. To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
8. And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
15. And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherd said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
16. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
17. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad saying which was told them concerning this child.
18. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
19. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in hear heart.
20. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
There are a lot more verses which you can read about God & the birth of Jesus and the events that took place throughout his short life, but I really think it's pretty cool that the very first people to see Jesus in person (other than Mary & Joseph, of course) were shepherds siting in a field taking care of sheep. Not a king, not a prince, not even a wealthy person...the shepherds were first! I think that is so awesome and something to keep in mind if you ever feel like you don't have anything to give. You DON'T have to have anything!!