Monday, May 19, 2014

Cajun Chex Mix

I want to start off by saying that I've made three different chex mix recipes and this one is by far my favorite one! It is totally worth taking the time to bake chex mix! It tastes amazing and is much better than the microwaved versions I've done in the past. This recipe can be made at mildly spicy or very spicy depending on your spicyness level. The ingredients below will make it spicy enough to give you a good zing, but if you want really spicy I'd double up on the hot sauce! Everyone who ate this chex mix LOVED it! Even guys who weren't crazy about spicy food! (We took it with us to a baseball game with Autry's work friends.) This was an amazing recipe and one I plan to make up again here in the next week or so!


Ingredients
2 sticks butter
1 teaspoon hot sauce*
3 Tablespoons worchestershier sauce
2 Tablespoons cajun seasoning
10 cups chex cereal (corn, wheat, rice)
4 cups crackers (oyster, cheese it, etc.)
3 cups pretzle pieces**
3 cups nuts (optional)
Garlic Salt
Cajun Seasoning

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

2. In a small saucepan melt the butter and add in hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, and 2 Tablespoons of cajun seasoning.


3. In a large bowl, mix together your collection of cereals, crackers, pretzels and nuts. You'll want 20 cups of chrunchies total.

4. When the butter mix is melted and ready to use, pour a little of it over your large bowl mix. Don't pour it all at once or it will fall to the bottom and the mix there will be extra coated while the rest is missing flavor. Pour butter mix over the chex mix and then stir it. Pour more, stir more until the butter is all gone. Make sure to get the bottom cereal moved around so it doesn't become soggy.


5. Grease 2 9x13 baking pans. Divide the mix into both pans. Sprinkle both pans with garlic salt. Stir the mix in each pan and add more garlic salt. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of cajun seasoning over each pan of mix (so 2 Tablespoons total). Stir.

6. Bake the mix in the oven for 1 hour, STIRRING EVERY 10 MINUTES!


7. Once the mix is baked, set it out to cool. When the mix is completely cooled, store in an airtight container or ziploc baggies.

Notes
*I use Tapatio Hot Sauce.
**I used pretzel sticks and broke them in half so they would be easier to grab and munch.

Related Posts

1 comment:

  1. This sounds easy to make, and best of all--DELICIOUS! Thank you for posting the recipe!

    Chandra
    More Modern Modesty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.