Saturday, January 11, 2014

Blog Makeover of December 2013

Last month I was finally able to breakthrough a problem I've been having with my blog design: no matter what I did, I couldn't get the background to change from the quilt background it's had since the beginning to a solid white which I've wanted since June 2013. I tried changing settings, but when I clicked save it would say the background photo was removed and would be white, but obviously it wasn't! I was highly frustrated with it. I do blog design things all the time, but I couldn't figure out this simple problem.

Finally in December I was reading somewhere and it hit me: change the template I'm using to something else! I pretty much had all the main stuff set up in custom buttons and links anyway, so changing the template (while risky) wouldn't make me have to redo all of the settings. I took a deep breath, clicked a new template and saved it to my live blog. Thank goodness it worked!

I did have to go back in and reset a few things in the Template HTML so I could continue to display my custom menu bar and header, and a few days after I changed the template I noticed the "pin it" button was no longer at the bottom of my posts, but everything else still works and now I have the blog love I've been craving for months!

I thought I would share this just in case anyone else had experienced the same problem I did. It seemed like my blog background was frozen. I couldn't figure out any other way to get it out of that state except for switching templates and thankfully it worked and nothing bad happened!

BEFORE

This is my blog background/look before I was able to get it to the white background.

I made a few more changes to the blog while I was at it. I put the individual links to all the pages back along the top (something I learned how to do recently). I added a new profile photo, organized some of the pages better, and am still working on updating a few of the pages (Recipe Box & DIY, Decor & More) to have photo links to the projects instead of text links so they'll be easier to look through.

In February I am planning to share with you a lot of things I haven't yet shared about my wedding. Foods, DIY tutorials, photos and more! I'm looking forward to having those things up so I can add them to the My Wedding Page.

I am considering moving the Apostolic Pentecostal blogs, shops, and Pinterest links to a separate 'blog' of sorts. This is something I haven't decided on yet, but I'm considering it. We'll see how things go in the next six months with the new baby & blogging!

If you've noticed a problem with one of the links or have a question about something please leave me a comment below! Especially on the links!! Sometimes it's hard to miss something even though you *think* you tested everything out.

4 comments:

  1. I love the new look! Sorry that I did not mention it sooner!
    It is wonderful when you finally break through a problem and can have everything set up to your hearts content! :)
    Have you ever had this same problem but with your sidebar? For the life of me ours will not change to white! Do you have any tips for this problem?

    thanks!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd try changing the theme in the template. That's what finally let me change my background to white...

      Delete
  2. Great job! The new desgin looks fantastic.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.