Sunday, August 12, 2012

Flavorful Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

This is not my normal Oatmeal Cookie recipe. I usually make simple cookies which are also delicious (one day I will post the recipe...I will have to make them first though so I can have a photo.). This recipe has a lot of different things in it which give them a wonderful flavor that you don't get in your normal oatmeal cookies. I designed this recipe specifically to be used with raisins. You could add nuts if you so choose. I wouldn't add more than 1 cup of nuts though. 1/2 might be best. I hope that you enjoy these because I sure do!


Ingredients for Bowl 1
1 1/2 cup flour
12 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 cup water

Ingredients for Bowl 2
2 sticks butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring

Add These Ingredients Last
4 cups oats
2 cups raisins

Directions
 
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Start with the ingredients for bowl one. Add the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, cinnamon, coriander, and cardamom. Mix well with a whisk or spoon before adding the water.
3. Using a separate, microwave safe bowl melt the butter in the microwave. Add both sugars, molasses, vanilla and almond flavors. Mix well.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir until mixed.
5. Add the oats to the flour mixture. Stir until well mixed.
6. Add the raisins and stir.
7. Roll the dough into 2" balls. I can fit 15-16 per cookie sheet. Place on greased cookie sheets.
8. Bake in oven 9 minutes if you don't use raisins, and 11 minutes if you do use raisins in this recipe.
9. Let the pan sit 2-3 minutes before removing the cookies from it.

Notes
 
~You can make these cookies without the raisins. If you do the cooking time is about 2 minutes less than if you used raisins in the mix.
~The cookies will look dark. This is because of the molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.